Sunday, February 8, 2015

Up North Weekend

Last weekend, we headed to great Up North of Minnesota to Lutsen for some skiing. It was a pretty chilly weekend for skiing, but it was still a blast. A perfect weekend trip.

Northern Minnesota is absolutely gorgeous! It is so picturesque, especially in the winter. We rented a cabin on Lake Superior and it was beautiful. As for skiing, I have zero photos because it was too cold to take my hands out of my mittens. I don't own a GoPro and that's probably for the best, because the footage would be quite embarrassing.

Here's a pretty image of the lake:

A few things I learned this weekend: 

1. Skiing is fun, but take it easy

Prior to this weekend, I had only skied twice in my life and it was probably 10 years ago. When they say skiing is like riding a bike, I don't think I had quite the experience to just pick it up again. My first time down the hill, I fell pretty hard. So, I spent most of the day on the bunny hill and I still had an absolute blast. I'm glad I took it easy and gained some confidence. Don't let your more experienced friends pressure you, life is just as good on the kiddy slopes. And a lot more safe!!

1a. Rent the helmet. Just do it!

2. There is more than skiing (or snowboarding)

I tried to make the weekend as much about relaxing as anything else. I brought a book, some games, and snacks. I did my research and found a great place for breakfast. For me, it was more fun to make it a great weekend than just about the slopes. After one day of skiing, I took the next day off and I think I made the whole trip more enjoyable. Maybe one day, I'll be more into skiing, but for now, I just want to keep it fun.

All in all, it was a fun weekend! I'm glad I went and I'm excited to go skiing again sometime. Definitely don't want to wait another 10 years!