Tuesday, February 24, 2015

How to stay 'cool' during the deep freeze.

It can be pretty easy to get bummed out about this chilly, winter weather. Living in Minnesota has taught me a lot about how to deal with winter weather and stay as upbeat as possible. Last winter (and now again) was absolutely brutal. We can't change the winter weather but we can keep our thoughts positive! Here a few tips I've learned to stay positive during the winter months.

Source
1. Dress Warm
It's beyond just wearing layers, it's starting to think strategically about how you dress. I know that when my feet get cold, I won't be a happy camper - so sometimes I wear an extra pair of socks or pull out my SmartWool. When I'm going to work, I throw my office shoes in my bag and wear my warm, comfy snow boots in my car and into the office. I currently have three types of gloves in bag right now - nice leather gloves, cheap stretchy gloves and the mittens I wore skiing. Leggings make great, warmer tights - you can even find fleece lined. It gives me options depending on where I'm going. Since where I live, cold weather is a given, I took to investing in pieces that keep me very warm and still look stylish. However, when it gets dangerously cold and they start making it a top headline, fashion matters anymore. Bundle up! Everyone is too cold to notice what you wear outside anyway.

2. Have confidence
You are totally capable of handling the cold. When you go outside - don't even think about how cold it is. Act confident and like you've definitely handled worse. Try not to tense up before you even step outside or the cold will hit you right away. Try to focus on other non-weather related things at first and if you start to feel the cold think to yourself "It's not that bad" and suddenly you won't notice how cold you are. It's almost like a meditative practice. It can take some practice, but once you've dealt with enough cold days, you'll get the hang of it.

3. Plan something fun for yourself everyday
Make warmer plans - maybe just schedule something for the summer or book a trip to warmer place. In the meantime, focus on what you can do to make each day great.Are you getting happy hour with a friend, or brunch? Are you dreading to make it to whatever trendy, hard to find parking local you're going. Invite them to your place instead. Get a group of friends together for a game night or watch the Oscars together. You don't have to leave your house and your friends will appreciate the company. You could also crank up your exercise - try a new fitness class. Doesn't hot yoga sound amazing right now?

4. Remember,  people from colder climates get cold too.
Just because someone grew up on the border of Canada, doesn't mean they don't get cold in the winter. The difference, they have experience that builds their confidence. Their blood isn't any different than yours. Just believe you can handle the cold and you will.